Oromia Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union /OCFCU/ limited liability is a smallholder coffee growers owned cooperative union established on June 1, 1999, by 34 cooperatives with 22,691 farmers. Today there are 217 cooperatives with over 200,000 Members and 161,575,474 Capital. OCFCU is a Democratic member’s owned business operating under the principles of International Cooperative Alliance and fair trade.
Members of Oromia Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union are the growers, processors, and suppliers of high quality, organic Arabica coffee for the direct export.
The general objective of OCFCU is to export the farmers’ coffee by passing the auction. OCFCU promotes Fair Trade for socially and environmentally sustainable techniques and long-term relationships between producers, traders, and consumers.
Oromia Coffee Farmer’s Cooperative Union (OCFCU) aims to help small-scale coffee farmers to take advantage of the Fair Trade coffee market. OCFCU was established in order to help farmer families. OCFCU returns 70 percent of its net profits back to the cooperatives, and cooperatives back to members.
Specifically, OCFCU focus on
- Improving the farmers’ income by exporting their coffee directly,
- Improving quality of services to member farmers and clients,
- Improving the social condition of farmers,
- Improving the quality and productivity of Ethiopian coffee,
- General Assembly ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 217,
- Board of Directors ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 11,
- Controlling Committee –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 3,
- Employees ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 9
Facilities owned by the members of the OCFCU (pictures)
- Own Coffee Processing Machine(the first of its kind ancestry with capacity of 5.7 tons/hr)
- Own office/building